Playing with Candy

So I started this post a couple weeks ago and the procrastination won again… seems right on schedule for me though :/ (I swear I’m going to try to do better!!)

Some weeks ago, I was at the airport and I picked up a copy of Better Homes and Gardens.  Whenever I go to the airport, I usually pick up a magazine just not that one.  This time, however, I couldn’t find a Glamour and I didn’t like who was on the cover of Self so I grabbed a BHG.  I was pretty glad I did because there were a couple recipes I could try the next weekend for my sister’s birthday cake. I was pretty excited to make my little sister a cake and it turned out pretty cute.

I was really excited to try the recipe for Candy Clay, which is what the flowers, butterflys, and letter are made of. Candy Clay is just corn syrup and white chocolate mixed together. It’s really simple to make and is very sweet. It was pretty soft though which made it a bit difficult to work with. This could have been because I made it in a very humid, hot area. The butterflies were especially difficult to do so I only made two but it was definately an interesting experience. To make the candy clay, you melt a 12 oz. package of white chocolate chips and then mix in 1/3 cup corn syrup. Once it’s all mixed together you let it sit for atleast an hour. You are suppsed to wrap it in plastic wrap but I didn’t have any so I put it in a container which didn’t help it firm up so in the end I left it out to air dry. Then when you want to use it, sprinkle your work surface with powdered sugar and roll it out and cut shapes or cover your cake as would with fondant (something I have never used and I’m not sure I want to try). I think next time I will try adding less corn syrup to see if it will firm up more. I also used the clay to decorate some cucpcakes for my older sister since her birthday is also in May.

Here, I shaped the candy clay as I would normal clay. On the cake, I rolled the clay out and hand cut the letters and numbers. I think I prefer the second method but I need some cutters to that the letters and numbers come out more even and neat. I will definately try this out again, with some tweaks, so I can see what else I can make with it. But I’m glad I got a chance to make two of my sisters something yummy for their birthdays and I think my sister’s enjoyed their cake/cupcakes which was what was really important. 🙂

Advertisements

Trying Something New…

I was supposed to write this post a few weeks ago but I often lose the battle with procrastination and this time was no exception. It kind of sucks because I was really excited about what I accomplished and I wish I had shared it sooner but later is better than never right? Plus, I’m still pretty excited about it. See, I finally tried making royal, something I once mentioned I was afraid of. I’m not afraid of the product itself, just the process. It turns out it’s not that scary.It was definately a learning experience but it wasn’t too scary. I used a sugar cookie recipe that I have used since I started baking and this royal icing recipe from Joyofbaking.com. I made some flowers, a couple of suns, and some piggies!

Flowers and Suns

So, this icing tasted like marshmellows and was very light and fluffy, none of which I was expecting, although I’m not really sure what I was expecting. It was very interesting to work with. I mixed three different colors, pink, yellow, and brown, and also used the icing as it was(white). It was weird though, because the white icing never really dried but the colored icing dried just fine. I’m not sure if I need to whip the icing more or if it had been too thinned. It might have helped to read some of the information in the paragraphs above the recipe, which I didn’t do until way later, since it says add more powdered sugar for piping… oh, well. Like I said, it was a learning experience. I also need to work on mixing icing colors; the didn’t just didn’t come out brown enough and the yellow was too pale, but practice makes perfect and I will keep trying.

For the piggies, I used a tulip cutter. They may seem a little random but I could see that pig in that tulip cutter and had to try. It didn’t come out quite the way I saw it in my head (which is usually the case) but they are pretty darn cute. And this attempt at decorating with royal icing didn’t come without its major mishaps.

Oops :/

The top of the bottle popped off when I was filling in the sun. But it’s ok because I got to eat that one. 🙂

Overall, this experiement went a lot better than I had anticipated. I think I’ll try this recipe again as it seemed to work well for basic cookies and tasted great but I’ll also continue to try out other recipes to see which works best for me. I had a lot of fun making these cookies and I can’t wait to try again and share more.